What is an Air Source Heat Pump(ASHP)?
Air source heat pumps (ashp) absorb heat from the outside air. This can then be used to warm radiators, underfloor heating systems, or warm air convectors and hot water in your home.
An ASHP extracts heat from the outside air in the same way that a fridge does from its inside. It can get warmth from the air even when the temperature is as low as -15° C. Heat pumps have some impact on the environment as they need electricity to run, but the heat they both extract from the is constantly being renewed naturally.
The benefits of an ASHP
- Lower fuel bills, especially if you are replacing conventional electric heating
- potential income through the UK government’s Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI)
- lower home carbon emissions, depending on which fuel you are replacing
- no fuel deliveries needed
- can provide heating for your home as well as your water
- minimal maintenance required
- can be easier to install than a ground source heat pump.